I had an idea. It took us on a trip.
Once arriving on VanIsle there was a 4 hour drive north followed by another couple of hours of bumping and rattling along on rutted out logging roads. At the end of the road and at the edge of civilization is where we left our van and set out on the 90minute hike through BC’s ancient rainforest which, to our total enjoyment, deposited us on a massive sand beach pounded by the cold Pacific surf. The next piece of land from there? Japan. Or so I liked to imagine.
The beach, world class and empty – except for two girls, stretched out for a couple of km’s littered with drift wood, fishing boat salvage, gorgeous sunsets, and plenty of room to think and write. No TV. No cell phones. No laptops. No music. No distraction. I sat for hours – literally – just simply watching the tides.
The surf and the tides, like a fire on a summer night, are mesmerizing. There seems to be a certain rhythm and flow of the waves as they crash in against the beach that draws you in and hardly lets you go. That spell on me was interrupted as a lone surfer walked across the beach towards the water at high tide…the surfer, fully clothed, was mostly the silhouette of a girl that I watched paddle out to enjoy life and live at only the momentum of the ocean. No faster. No slower. Simply in rhythm.
-e.d.
4 comments:
Two words... tidal dump. Now that takes rhythm.
Dude, I've got labels down, but I can't seem to come up with technorati tags. How do you get them on there?
Little help?
Add the technorati tags just like any other link!!
And yes - tidal dumps in the surf does take a lot of rhythm....
but that is another story.
secret spot huh? well, i know where that is too, i usually go there once or twice a week...
Post a Comment