If there are masks to be worn I suppose they should be worn. If there are covers to be pulled over my head at night then I suppose I should cover myself. If there is such thing as redemption then I suppose I should be redeemed. If there is justice I should be held accountable. If there is grace I could use it. If there is friendship then I suppose I would like a friend. If there is agony I suppose there should be relief. If there is strength in numbers then I suppose I shouldn't be alone. If there is more to life then I suppose I might want to discover it. If there is danger then I will live dangerously. If there is peace then I suppose I will be ok. If there was hope I would be hopeful.
I wonder how often most people just barely scrape by? Barely existing? I wonder how many people find strength believing they are following a guide and never understand that the guide was blind? I imagine most people to live between the shrinking margins of lust and gratification; people who live between the the buffet tables of hope and rejection, love and hate, being fed and going hungry.
Most people want to be known for something spectacular. I've never known anyone who wants to be mediocre. I would like to introduce myself as a someone who wants to be nothing more then somewhere in the middle; a mediocre fence sitting blend-in-with-a-wall kind of person. Greatness is not my intention and neither is worthlessness. I will prefer mediocrity.
-e.d.
3 comments:
I don't know if mediocre is part of our nature. What's your motivation? Are you simply try to be unique? Or are you simply tired of trying?
Hey Eddie Def...if you're interested in trends...check out this new book I picked up. It's called "The Tipping Point". It's a look at what the deciding factor is that makes something a few people do into a trend.
EDDIE DEF EH?
heh.
ok
i was reading donald miller today in his book in painted deserts and he was talking about this man named ben. ben was 'average' in that he lived in "average" means, worked 9-5, worked hard, worked strong, and came home to his wife whom he loved... this average man though struck the heart of two insignificant boys who were 'looking for significance' with his simply yet gracious acts... thus he became great in their eyes....
perhaps a quest to be "mediocre" is not the quest but rather to live simply.
perhaps you are 'called' to a chaotic life.... could simplicity still exist? i would hazzard yes.
jeffrey.
hehe... eddie def eh?
Post a Comment