Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Lao Tzu

Fighting is apart of hockey otherwise there wouldn’t be rules against it. The same is true with diving soccer players. In the same way, sin is apart of living otherwise there wouldn’t be rules against it.

Most often we can only ascribe value to something because of what is not there. For example, a water bottle is useful because it contains empty space. Doors, windows, the hole in the top of your socks, tunnel entrances, and straws are only useful because they are gaps in something.

Our eyes will be quick to judge beauty based on the absence of ugliness, significance in the absence of pithy, and life in the absence of death. The value, beauty, significance, and life of what is there lies in what is not there.

9 comments:

Jeffrey said...

reminds me of a quote: we never know love without grief.

pleasure without pain

what becomes the opposite of supernatural?
a dessert of nothingness?

jeffrey

jeremy postal said...

Maybe the other way to look at is to ask this question: How do we know there is the supernatural? Maybe because we know the natural...

Boomer said...

A hole in my sock is never useful.

I've often wondered about God's foreknowledge of sin. He knew the Fall would happen. He could have stopped it. How much greater is God in the face of sin.

But without sin, would we search for purpose? Would there be purpose for anything in the incompleteness of it's situation? Or would things simply be?

jeremy postal said...

How would you get your sock on if there was no hole?
How could the same event, Jesus' death on a cross, be simultaneously the set purpose of God and the wickedness of man? (Acts 2:23) Could it be that absence and thereness must work together for accomplishment?

Boomer said...

Oh I see hole in the top of the sock. I was talking about the toe...lol.

Explain what you mean by thereness and absence in this way. I see multiple factors creating anything. Any reaction is cause by the interaction of ingredients. I see this as a more reasonable explanation. But maybe I'm not catching your meaning, can you clarify?

jeremy postal said...

If I could just point you back to your sock as the example/explination.

Boomer said...

The reasons given are not why these things are valuable. A sock is "valuable" because it gives a foot warmth or comfort. However without the hole the sock is no longer a sock, and only useful if you fill it beads and kick it around. But then I don't this is what you're trying to say.

This seems like a post on perspective. For one beauty is beauty, but another beauty is the absence of ugliness. So there is value where things are lacking, yet there is value in what is.

Boomer said...

C.S. Lewis just gave a strong example of you thought in "The Problem of Pain". He states that morality is only found in the absence of moral action. It only exists because it has been broken.

jeremy postal said...

I would also recommend father of taoism, Lao Tzu, to do some of the explaining. Google or wiki search some of his work...
-Jer