Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Story of Science

I read stories and write about stories more then I am admitting to right now. I actually fear that I am becoming a bit of geek, in fact, I first realized this when I admitted that the smell of books is better then a lot of things.

Humans simply love to tell stories…it is somehow attached to our very nature. As long as, and no doubt before, there have been camp fires to sit around there have been stories to tell. The manipulating of fire, or, in other words, the advancement of science, has been instrumental in the continuing of these stories. Or maybe it is the other way around?

Without the storyteller science is useless. It is true that science deals with objective facts, observation, and controlled experiments, however, how this objective data is assembled involves a degree of imagination, i.e. theories. And what are theories? Theories are nothing more then stories hiding under another name.

If it wasn’t for story we would still be walking on all fours living in a cave and wondering about how to style our unibrows. Story is the advancement of humanity; I wonder what the correlation is to the individual story? Stories move you forward.
-e.d.

Subscribe to this continuing story using bloglines.

1 comment:

Boomer said...

Unibrows are best styled with tweezers. My wife works wonders with mine.